
Yogyakarta's Hidden Gem: OYO 90878 Pakem Sari Hotel Review (You Won't Believe This!)
Yogyakarta's Hidden Gem: OYO 90878 Pakem Sari Hotel Review (You Won't Believe This!) - A Chaotic Confession of Comfort
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea (or maybe the Javanese coffee… they're obsessed with coffee here) on OYO 90878 Pakem Sari Hotel in Yogyakarta. And let me tell you, it was… an experience. A messy, delightful, slightly confusing experience that, against all odds, left me surprisingly charmed.
First Impressions: The Great Accessibility Mystery & The Promise of Wi-Fi!
Okay, so "Hidden Gem" is an understatement. It’s practically buried in the lush, vibrant chaos of Pakem. Finding it felt like a quest in itself, which, honestly, added to the adventure. But let's address the elephant in the room: Accessibility. They mention it, but I wouldn’t bet my last rupiah on it being truly ideal for folks with mobility issues. There's an elevator, which is HUGE for a place like this, but navigating the hallways… well, let's just say it's an adventure of its own. Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site] are available – HUGE! They had a surprising amount of parking, which is a lifesaver in Yogyakarta's traffic madness.
The Internet access situation was the REAL star. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Hallelujah and pass the router! The Wi-Fi actually worked (mostly!), which is a godsend when you're trying to update your Instagram with breathtaking photos of Mount Merapi, which is literally right around the corner (more on that later). They also had Internet [LAN], which, well, I didn’t touch. This is Indonesia after all, and let's be honest, I'm here to relax, not to build a server farm. I should have asked about Wi-Fi in public areas, but I was too busy trying to find the perfect warung nearby!
Safety & Cleanliness: Did My Sanity (and My Stomach) Survive?
Okay, pandemic times – let’s get real. I’m a hypochondriac, and even I felt… pretty good here. They REALLY made an effort. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Rooms sanitized between stays, Staff trained in safety protocol… it was all there. They even had Individual-wrapped food options and plenty of Hand sanitizer. My inner germaphobe took a deep breath and actually relaxed. I didn’t see any Professional-grade sanitizing services, but honestly, the whole place felt pretty clean.
And the food? That brings us to a whole other level of chaotic joy.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food, Glorious Messy Food!
The restaurants are, shall we say, diverse. The Asian breakfast was… well, it was breakfast, and it was Asian. Let's leave it at that. They have Asian cuisine in restaurant, and some International cuisine in restaurant (trust me, the definition got very loose at some point – I'm not sure what it was, but I didn't hate it). They had Breakfast [buffet], too – a solid if slightly standard selection, but hey, free food is free food. The Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop are must-haves for the average traveller, I found that the Bottle of water was the lifesaver.
Oh, and the Poolside bar: Now, that was a good time. I'm a sucker for a good Happy Hour, and OYO 90878 Pakem Sari Hotel delivered, even if the cocktails weren’t exactly Michelin-star material. The view of the pool was decent, but, I'm dying to see the Pool with view, which I read about from another guest, I'll be back for that. This place isn't about fancy, it's about charm. I had a soup, it turned out to be Soup in restaurant, and then ended up being a bit more than I wanted to. I didn't see many Desserts in restaurant. The Snack bar was filled with tasty, greasy goodness.
Did I mention they had Room service [24-hour]? Because, yes, they do. And it got me through some very late nights.
Things To Do, Ways to Relax: Spa Day, Anyone? (Maybe…)
Alright, let's be honest. I wasn't expecting a five-star spa experience. But the fact that they offer a Spa, Spa/sauna, Foot Bath, Massage is awesome. I did read the Fitness center exists, and the Gym/fitness is good! I didn't try anything, but the options are available.
The Swimming pool [outdoor] was everything. It was clean, cool, and a perfect retreat from the Yogyakarta heat. Just pure, unadulterated bliss. This is the main reason I booked the place - I didn't want to be on the streets. They have Swimming pool included. They had to keep it clean with the sun.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That (Mostly) Matter
Air conditioning in public area: Check
Concierge: Check (and helpful!)
Daily housekeeping: Check (and thorough!)
Here's something that got me a little emotional: Facilities for disabled guests. This is something that's REALLY important. They have the basics covered, but could do with some upgrades.
Cash withdrawal, Currency exchange, and a Convenience store (essential!) were all on hand. They also have Laundry service, which was a lifesaver after I spilled Sambal on my favorite shirt. I had to check for a Cashless payment service, as it's common. It was available.
The Rooms: Cozy Chaos and Surprisingly Okay Beds!
Alright, let’s talk about the rooms. The Non-smoking rooms were a blessing. I booked a basic room, and it was… well, adequate. Here's a list:
- Air conditioning: Essential in this climate!
- Alarm clock: Actually useful
- Daily housekeeping: Keeping it tidy
- Desk: Fine for writing postcards or working (maybe).
- Free bottled water: Lifesaver!
- Hair dryer: Check.
- Internet access – wireless/Internet access – LAN: See above.
- Mini bar: Not much in it, but hey, options!
- Mirror: Essential for self-reflection, or more likely, for checking if you have food on your face.
- Private bathroom: Thank goodness.
- Refrigerator: A good thing to have
- Shower: Acceptable.
- Smoke detector: reassuring at least.
- Telephone: I didn’t use it.
- Wi-Fi [free]: 🙌
The beds were… surprisingly comfortable. I slept like a log.
Getting Around: You're On Your Own, Baby!
Airport transfer: They offer one, which is awesome. Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site]: Huge plus! Taxi service: Yes.
For the Kids: Family Friendly-ish
I didn't travel with kids, so I couldn't comment on the Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, or Kids meal, but they seemed to have some options.
The Verdict: Embrace the Chaos!
OYO 90878 Pakem Sari Hotel isn't perfect. It's a little rough around the edges. It’s a little… unpolished. But that's exactly what makes it charming. It's real. It's authentic. It's not trying to be something it's not.
What I loved:
- The surprisingly comfy beds
- The pool. Oh, the pool!
- The free Wi-Fi (it actually worked!)
- The staff, who were genuinely friendly and helpful
- The location. It’s a great base for exploring the area.
What could be improved:
- Accessibility. It needs some work.
- The food. It's not gourmet, but it gets the job done.
- It could be cleaner
My Final Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Would I go back? Absolutely. For the pool, the price, and the sheer, unadulterated Indonesian-ness of the whole experience.
---
A Chaotic Confession of Comfort:
This place isn't a palace, I can't stress that enough. But I also can't stress enough that I'd go back. I mean, I was ready to give up at all the Exterior corridor. I was so ready to check out early. Because I am that type of traveller.
I was also looking for Couple's room, but I was alone.
I've had so many reservations with these hotels that the thought of Hotel chain freaks me out.
I found out I had to keep my lights on because of my fear of nightmares, so I felt
Escape to Paradise: Stunning 6-Person AC Apartment in Corsica!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's pristine travel itinerary. We're hitting Yogyakarta, Indonesia, and specifically, the hallowed halls (and maybe a slightly questionable shower) of OYO 90878 Pakem Sari Hotel & Convention. Get ready for a rollercoaster, a real-life, sleep-deprived, caffeine-fueled adventure.
Day 1: Landed and Lost (But Mostly Found…ish)
- Morning (Jakarta – Yogyakarta Flight – BLEH!): So, the flight. Let's just say it involved a crying baby who clearly thought my existence was a personal insult and an in-flight meal that resembled something found at the bottom of a Tupperware container from the '80s. But hey, we made it! Yogyakarta, here we come!
- Arrival at OYO 90878 (The Briefing): After a harrowing taxi ride (traffic, oh the traffic!), we arrived. The hotel? Okay. Let's be honest, think "budget-friendly" with a side of "charmingly faded glory." The lobby had this vaguely institutional vibe, but the staff? Sweet as can be! They were already helping with the luggage. Apparently, I was very late.
- Afternoon (Room Reconnaissance & First Impressions): Ah, the room. The aircon blasts and the room? Well, it was a definite step up from the plane. I'm not going to lie, the bed looked a little suspicious. But hey, it's clean. So I'm just gonna call it a win. I immediately plonked myself down, did some work (I'm a work-from-anywhere type), and got a drink.
- Observation: The TV has a weird collection of channels. And the Wi-Fi? Pray for it. It's there, but it's a whisper of a connection. Embrace the digital detox!
- Evening (Stumbling into Bakmi Kadin – Food Heaven!): Starving, I did the most brilliant thing ever: I wandered. Just walked right out the door and into the chaos. After about 30 minutes I found a local street food haunt. Bakmi Kadin. A cacophony of sizzling noodles, smoky pork, and the pure, unadulterated joy of cheap, delicious food. I ate it for about half an hour. I forgot all my troubles!
- Emotional Reaction: Honestly, I nearly wept with happiness. The noodles were perfect, the broth rich, the atmosphere buzzing. Forget Michelin stars, this place was the real deal. I practically inhaled the whole thing.
- Night (Attempted Sleep, Partially Successful): The bed was, indeed, a little suspect. But the aircon was cold. And after the Bakmi Kadin coma, I passed out. Sleep was broken, but I got at least 6 hours.
Day 2: Temples, Troubles, and a Truly Terrible Scooter Experience
- Morning (Sunrise at Borobudur…or Attempted Sunrise): Okay, here's where things get a bit… chaotic. The plan was to see Borobudur at sunrise. We woke up. And, were late. The driver got lost (classic!). The sunrise was already well underway but seeing the temple bathed in the morning light was still magical. It was incredible. I felt humbled. I felt the weight of history.
- Afternoon (Prambanan – So. Much. Stone.): Prambanan was next. Towering stone temples, intricate carvings, and the heat. Oh, the heat! I will say that some of the temples are a bit… neglected. Some of the stone felt dangerous. But the scale of the place and the stories it told were worth it.
- Quirky Observation: Found a local street food vendor selling Durian. I held my nose and gave it a go (once). The smell is truly something else.
- Late Afternoon (The Scooter Incident – Never Again): I thought, "Hey, it's Indonesia, I'm a daredevil!”. I rented a scooter. Bad, bad idea. I’m not sure what went wrong. I may have almost wiped out some children. I'm not sure I'll ever trust myself on two wheels again.
- Emotional Reaction: Absolute, utter panic. I got off the scooter, took the taxi back.
- Evening (Gudeg & Regret): After the scooter fiasco, I needed comfort food. Gudeg, the local jackfruit stew. It was sweet, savory, and oddly comforting. It felt like the taste of Yogyakarta. But I’ll always associate it with the burning shame of my scooter adventure.
Day 3: Culture, Coffee, and Contemplation (and Maybe a Slightly Better Night's Sleep)
- Morning (Museums & Batik – Finding My Zen): Back on solid ground (literally!), I took a Grab to a couple of museums, where I got a better sense of the city's heritage. Then, exploring the local craft. I wandered through a batik workshop, mesmerized by the intricate process. Maybe I'll pick up the skill.
- Afternoon (Coffee Culture and Random Ramblings): In need of caffeine. I did some browsing, and found a little cafe. It was the perfect escape. I spent a good couple of hours sipping coffee, reading, and watching the world go by. Yogyakarta is definitely growing on me
- Late Afternoon (Hotel Reflections – The Value of Clean Towels): Back at the OYO. I had a long, hot shower after a good day, and thought. You know what? The towels are a little thin, the water pressure is not fantastic. But I'm in Yogyakarta, and this is my temporary base. I should probably be grateful I'm not, you know, still on that scooter.
- Evening (Farewell Dinner & a Promise of More): Local food. I have to have it again! I walked again. Stumbled in. Local food and laughter. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, I just remember the food. And the feeling that I'll definitely be back.
Final Thoughts:
OYO 90878 Pakem Sari Hotel & Convention? It's not the Four Seasons, let's be clear. But it's a solid, affordable, and ultimately charming place to call home while exploring Yogyakarta. The staff are lovely, the location is workable, and the price is right. I'm still processing the whole scooter incident (never again!!!), but I wouldn't trade this trip for anything. And I already want to go back.
Luxury Lekki Haven: Your Dream 2-Bedroom Awaits!
OYO 90878 Pakem Sari Hotel: The Truth (Maybe You Shouldn't Believe EVERYTHING) - An FAQ Disaster!
Okay, seriously, what even IS this Pakem Sari place? Is it a hostel? A haunted house? Should I bring a hazmat suit?
Alright, alright, settle down, drama queen. Pakem Sari is… well, it’s an OYO hotel. Which, based on my experience, means it's a roll of the dice. You're NOT going to find pristine luxury, let's put it that way. Think budget-friendly, perhaps a little *too* budget-friendly. Picture this: you're in the middle of Yogyakarta, surrounded by lush greenery, and then... BAM! A building. And that building *might* be Pakem Sari. (It's not haunted, though... probably.)
The reviews talk about cleanliness. Was it... clean? Be honest, please! My standards aren't *that* high.
Cleanliness. Ah, the million-dollar question. Here’s the thing. My room… let's just say it had a *history*. It wasn't like, biohazard-level gross, but it also wasn't exactly spotless. Think… "rustic" cleanliness. Like, they *tried*, but maybe they ran out of time and elbow grease. I found a single, lonely, discarded… uh… *thing* under the bed. I’m choosing to believe it wasn’t alive. Okay? Okay. Bring wipes. Loads of wipes.
The location is supposed to be good, yeah? Close to the action? Tell me about getting around.
Location? Well, it’s “close-ish.” It's in a more residential area, which is actually kinda nice. Peaceful enough. You're not right in the heart of the craziness, which can be a plus if you crave a bit of quiet. Getting around? Grab a Grab (Indonesian Uber/Lyft). It's cheap as chips. Or you can rent a scooter. Which I ALMOST did. Thank GOD I didn't. My balance is... questionable.
What about the staff? Were they, you know, *helpful*? Did they speak English? Did they understand my desperate pleas for more toilet paper?
The staff... bless their cotton socks. They were *present*. English? A bit of a mixed bag. The usual nods and smiles, the occasional “thank you.” Getting toilet paper was a *quest*. I think I spent a solid 15 minutes trying to mime “toilet paper” while looking increasingly frantic. It worked, eventually. They were genuinely nice, though. And after all, they're not running the Ritz, are they? They were doing their best and at these prices, you can't expect white gloves.
Let's talk about the room itself. What should I expect inside? The "basic" amenities, I'm assuming?
The room. Oh, boy. Think… utilitarian. Think… functional. Think… you’re probably not going to write home about the decor. My room was mostly a bed (which was surprisingly comfortable), a TV that may or may not have worked properly (it was a battle, and I'm not sure who won), and a tiny bathroom. The bathroom… well, it had a shower. The water was kinda hot, kinda not. Water pressure? Don't even ask. Look, it's a place to lay your head. Don't go expecting anything fancy. You’re there to explore Yogyakarta, not to luxuriate in your room. Seriously. Get out there!
BREAKFAST. Is there breakfast? And if so, what's the story? Is it edible? I get hangry.
Breakfast… ah, the most important meal of the day! My experience? Yeah, there *was* breakfast. It was… included. It was, let's say, simple. Rice, maybe some noodles, a fried egg. I swear, sometimes they just ran out, and I’m pretty sure on one amazing morning, I got a cup of instant noodles for breakfast. It filled a hole. It didn't set the world on fire. Don't go expecting a buffet fit for royalty. But, hey, it’s free. And it helps prevent the hangry monster inside from eating your travel partner. So, there's that.
Okay, the big question: Would you stay there again? Be brutally honest!
Hmmm... Would I? Honestly? For the rock-bottom price? Yeah, probably. If I needed a cheap place to crash while exploring Yogyakarta, and I wasn't expecting anything fancy (and I'm *always* on a budget), then yeah, I'd consider it. But I'd come armed with wipes, an open mind, and low expectations. And maybe a backup snack supply. It's not perfect. It's not glamorous. But it's… an experience. And sometimes, those messy, imperfect experiences are the ones you remember the most. Think of it as budget backpacking with a roof. Just... be prepared for anything. EVERYTHING.
Okay, let's get specific about the bathroom. Because, let's be honest, that's where it *really* matters. What was it like?
Oh. The bathroom. Deep breaths. Right. Picture this: a small, slightly damp space. The shower? A hose contraption pointed vaguely in the direction of… well, you. Water temperature? A gamble. Sometimes scorching, sometimes lukewarm. The water pressure… imagine a gentle drizzle. It wasn't a spa. It wasn't luxurious. The drain... well, it worked *most* of the time. The tiles? They definitely saw some use. I mean, it got the job done. You could wash yourself. You wouldn’t get completely clean, but you *could* get some of the grime of the city off. Bring your own soap. And maybe, just maybe, your own sandals.
Okay, is there anything *good* to say about Pakem Sari? Anything at all?! I need some positivity!
Okay, okay, enough with the negativity! Fine. The people! The staff, bless their hearts, were trying. They were friendly, even if communication was a bit of a comedy of errors. The price! It IS ridiculously cheap. You're practically stealing accommodation. The location is actually quite cool, in a quieter part. Oh, and sometimes… sometimes you can catch a glimpse of the sunrise from the courtyard. It's pretty. For about five minutes, before the reality of the slightly-less-than-pristine nature of the place sinks back in. So, yeah, there are *moments*. Embrace the imperfections, the quirks, the… theDelightful Hotels

